Power Generation and Transmission Analyst
Cambridge Energy Solutions
Location: 50 Church Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
We are a leading electric power systems software company in Cambridge, MA seeking a full-time Power Generation and Transmission Analyst to become an integral part of our team. Our principal product, the DAYZER model (Day Ahead Market Analyzer), is used to identify opportunities and risks in fast-changing wholesale power markets. Using security constrained unit commitment and economic dispatch to simulate the operation of North American ISOs/RTOs, DAYZER reports the least-cost hourly generation, congestion, and Nodal Locational Marginal Price (LMP) solution meeting reliability criteria. The model is continuously updated with the latest information on power demand, grid topology, transmission and unit outages, fuel prices, renewable generation forecast etc., as well as LMP and transmission congestion results from the ISOs. The Power Generation and Transmission Analyst will assist with building, maintaining, and benchmarking these detailed models of bulk electric power and transmission systems.
- Process, analyze, and summarize data related to the accurate modeling of wholesale power markets.
- Track construction and retirement of utility-scale power plants using a variety of public and internal sources.
- Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data to improve and update modeling assumptions.
- Build expertise in the modeling of wholesale power markets and the DAYZER platform.
- Develop ability to effectively explain model inputs, outputs, and market energy and congestion dynamics to colleagues and customers.
- Assist in analyzing/calibrating models to capture short and long-term market dynamics, pricing, and congestion patterns.
- Collaborate to build new and ever-improving market models, input data sources, and reporting features.
- Assist with documentation, software testing, and external customer support.
- Strong analytical skills; demonstrating excellent critical thinking skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to collaborate with others to utilize resources and develop quality solutions.
- Self-motivated and organized; ability to independently track and complete tasks, respond to colleagues and customers, track progress and meet deadlines through effective prioritization of duties and requests.
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet modeling skills and ability to conduct detailed data analysis with minimal oversight.
- Demonstrated interest in electric power systems and knowledge of energy markets.
- Experience with programming, databases, and SQL syntax.
- Familiarity with some of the following: economic theory, conventional and renewable power technology, GIS, computer science, software development and testing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's Degree in quantitative or scientific field or equivalent experience.
- Coursework in electrical engineering or previous experience with commercial power-systems models is helpful, but not required.
- Full-Time position in Cambridge, MA with exceptional growth opportunities; 401K and medical offered.
- Compensation Dependent on Experience.
- Must demonstrate ability to work in the US.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com or Smeany@ces-us.com with "Power Generation and Transmission Analyst" in subject line. Principals only. No recruiters please.